CMC is the eyes and ears of the communities of Beechville, Lakeside, Timberlea and Prospect with respect to the operation of the Otter Lake Landfill. The Community Monitoring Committee(CMC) was established by Halifax Regional Council in 1999 to monitor the operation of the regional landfill facilities located at Otter Lake.
Section 7.01 of the Monitoring Agreementbetween Halifax Regional Municipality and the Halifax Waste/Resource Society defines the responsibilities of the Community Monitoring Committee. In essence, the CMC has the responsibility to:
- Monitor all operations at the Otter Lake landfill;
- Report important information about the landfill operation to the local community;
- Hear concerns from the local community and report those views to the Council of HRM;
- Report its own views to Council on any other aspect of HRM’s waste management facilities that could have an impact on the landfill facilities;
- Report concerns to any other relevant body (ex. Nova Scotia Department of Environment) regarding any concerns it may have concerning issues inside of its mandate.
Under the agreement with HRM, the CMC comprises:
- The Mayor;
- 2 local Councillors;
- 1 other Councillor appointed by Council;
- 2 residents of HRM who do not live in the area, appointed by Council;
- 9 residents of HRM who are elected, with 4 to 6 coming from the local community.
Section 7.01 of the Monitoring Agreement
7.01 The Committee shall, effective as of the Commencement of Operations,
- monitor the operations of the Facilities;
- ensure that members of the Committee are regularly and fully informed concerning the operation of the Facilities;
- receive information and representations from Area Residents concerning any matter relating to the operation of the Facilities;
- report to the Area Residents information concerning the operation of the Facilities;
- report to the Council of HRM and other authorities having jurisdiction relevant views of Area Residents;
- report to the Council of HRM and other authorities having jurisdiction the views and comments of the Committee, and of Area Residents, concerning the operation of any element of HRM’s integrated solid waste resource management system other than the Facilities, where the operation of such element or elements has a direct impact on the operation of the Facilities;
- comment or make representations to such body or authority, as the Committee thinks fit, concerning any matter falling within the mandate of the Committee as set out in this Agreement;
- report to the Council or the Society concerning the activities and affairs of the Committee at such times and in such manner as the Council or the Society, respectively, may require;
- fulfil such other responsibilities as may be conferred on the Committee by agreement of HRM and the Society.